Daytona Beach DUI Lawyers Near You
Navigating the maze of DUI charges? It’s not a journey you should embark on alone. Especially not when you have Daytona Beach’s top-ranked DUI lawyers just a phone call away. Here’s why our community turns to us when they’re in a tight spot:
Trusted DUI Lawyers in Daytona Beach
Ever been in a situation where you felt like just another number? At Leppard Law, that’s not how we operate. Our team doesn’t just know the law; we know people. We understand the distress and anxiety of facing a DUI charge. It’s not just about legal representation. It’s about standing by your side, reassuring you every step of the way. We’ve had countless residents of Daytona Beach trust us with their defense. Why? Because we’re not just lawyers. We’re your neighbors, your community, and we’re here for you.
Proven Track Record with Daytona Beach DUI Cases
Results matter. And when it comes to DUI cases in Daytona Beach, our track record is second to none. But don’t just take our word for it. We’ve been ranked as #1 on Yelp’s list of “Best Lawyers in Orlando.” Our history is dotted with courtroom victories, countless dismissals, and skillful negotiations. With over 60 years of combined experience defending the rights of Floridians, our expertise is evident. At Leppard Law, we pride ourselves on transforming daunting challenges into triumphant outcomes.
Personalized Legal Strategy for Each DUI Case
Imagine this: A law firm that doesn’t offer one-size-fits-all solutions. A place where your unique situation is met with a tailored strategy. That’s us. At Leppard Law, each case is treated with the utmost dedication. “Your Voice, Our Mission” isn’t just a catchy tagline. It’s our promise. We’re committed to understanding the intricacies of your case, ensuring that our defense strategy aligns with your best interests. Our tech-savvy approach, championed by Joel Leppard, means that we’re efficient, responsive, and always a step ahead. In a world where legal firms can often feel cold and impersonal, we bring a personal touch that’s genuinely refreshing.
Daytona Beach DUI Laws Demystified
Driving under the influence is a grave offense with severe repercussions. However, the labyrinth of DUI laws, especially in Florida, can be overwhelming. Let’s break down the essentials for you, keeping it conversational, so you know what you’re up against if you ever find yourself in such a situation.
Basics of DUI Laws in Florida and Daytona Beach
Caught in the whirlwind of DUI charges? Well, first things first: the penalty scheme for DUI convictions in Florida is pretty intricate. It’s not just about paying a fine or getting your license suspended. There’s a myriad of potential consequences that vary based on prior offenses and the specific circumstances of your case. With a system so complex, having the best DUI attorney by your side can make a world of difference. They might be able to get your DUI dismissed or even reduced to reckless driving. Remember, DUI isn’t just about being over the limit; aggravating factors like having minors in the car or causing property damage can make the penalties stiffer.
Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) Limits in Daytona Beach
Ever heard of BAC? It stands for Blood Alcohol Content, and it’s a critical measure in DUI cases. If an officer believes you’ve been drinking and driving, post-arrest, they can conduct a BAC test. There are different kinds:
- Breath Test: Commonly used because it provides immediate results. However, these aren’t always accurate. Devices like the Intoxilyzer 8000 series are frequently used in Florida.
- Urine Test: Less accurate and is used when other tests aren’t readily available.
- Blood Test: More accurate than both urine and breath tests, but there are still potential lab complications.
Deciding whether to take a BAC test? If you refuse, your driver’s license can be suspended for a year on a first-time refusal. However, if your BAC is .08 or higher, you’ll face a license suspension for 6 months and receive a DUI citation. It’s a tricky decision, and the right choice can vary based on your situation.
Field Sobriety Tests in Daytona Beach DUI Stops
Picture this: you’re pulled over, and the officer suspects you’ve had a drink or two. They might ask you to perform a series of exercises right there on the roadside. These are called Field Sobriety Tests (FSTs). They assess your mental and physical performance to see if there’s enough cause to arrest you. Some of the tests include:
- Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus Test: You’ll be asked to follow a light with your eyes without moving your head. It’s believed that if you’ve been drinking, your eyes might jerk instead of following smoothly.
- Walk and Turn: Here, you’ll walk in a straight line, heel-to-toe, for nine steps, make a specific turn, and walk back.
- One Leg Stand: As the name suggests, you’ll stand on one leg and count to 30.
Should you do these tests? It’s your call. If you decline, the officer can still arrest you based on other observations. But without FST performance as evidence, prosecuting your case could be trickier.
What Happens After a DUI Arrest in Daytona Beach?
The swirling red and blue lights, an officer’s stern voice, the weight of handcuffs—getting arrested for a DUI can be a harrowing experience. But what comes next? The process might seem like a blur, especially if it’s your first time. Let’s walk through it step by step, so you’re prepared for what’s ahead.
First off, deep breaths. Yes, it’s easier said than done. But clear thinking is your best ally now. Here’s a quick checklist for you:
- Stay Calm: Reacting aggressively or resisting arrest will only complicate things.
- Right to Remain Silent: You’ve heard it in movies, and it’s real. Anything you say can be used against you in court. Politely decline to answer questions without your lawyer present.
- Contact an Attorney: This is crucial. Reach out to a top DUI attorney in Daytona Beach as soon as you can. They’ll guide you through the next steps and help build your defense.
- Document Everything: Memory can be fickle. As soon as you get a chance, jot down everything about the arrest—where you were, what you were doing, the officer’s actions, etc.
Navigating the Daytona Beach DUI Booking Process
After the arrest, you’ll be taken to the police station for booking. It sounds daunting, but it’s essentially a process where they record your personal information and the details of the arrest. Here’s a snapshot of what happens:
- Personal Details: They’ll record your name, address, date of birth, and other essential details.
- Mug Shot: Yes, the infamous photo. Look straight at the camera, and remember, this photo might be used in court.
- Fingerprinting: Standard procedure for all arrests.
- Property Inventory: They’ll list out and store your personal belongings. You’ll get them back once you’re released.
- Detainment: You might be placed in a holding cell until you can post bail or until your arraignment.
Daytona Beach DUI Arraignment: What to Expect
The arraignment is your first court appearance after the arrest. Here’s a breakdown:
- Charges Read Out: The judge will inform you of the charges against you.
- Plea Entry: You’ll be asked to enter a plea—guilty, not guilty, or no contest. It’s crucial to have consulted with your attorney before this.
- Bail Determination: The judge might set bail, especially if they believe you might not show up for the next hearing or if there are aggravating factors in your case.
- Next Court Date: If you plead not guilty, the judge will set a date for the next hearing or trial.