Orlando Rape Defense Attorneys Near You
When you’re faced with a charge as serious as rape or sexual battery in Orlando, FL, finding the right rape lawyers in Orlando to represent you legally can make all the difference. Enter Leppard Law: the firm that combines hard-hitting legal defense with a compassionate, client-centered approach.
Your Voice, Our Mission
We get it. You’re going through an immensely difficult period, and the last thing you need is a lawyer who views you merely as a case number. At Leppard Law, we pride ourselves on our commitment to being client-focused. You’re not just a case to us; you’re our mission.
From Their Bench to Your Defense
Our team of experienced rape lawyers in Orlando and sexual battery defense attorneys are not just proficient in the law; they have the insider knowledge that comes from having been former prosecutors. This is a game-changer in your defense strategy. We’ve sat on their side, and we know their playbook. We’re in your corner, making that insider knowledge your strongest defense.
Comprehensive Rape Defense in Orlando, FL
When we say we offer comprehensive rape defense legal services in Orlando, we mean it. Our robust legal team with receptionists, paralegals, and support staff with Juris Doctor degrees sets us apart in Central Florida’s legal landscape. Strength in numbers and dedication at heart—that’s Leppard Law for you.
Tech-Savvy Defense with a Personal Touch
Headed by tech enthusiast Joel Leppard, Leppard Law embraces cutting-edge technology to streamline client services. We’re always a step ahead, offering efficient and responsive legal support. Combine that tech prowess with our legal expertise, and what you have is an unbeatable defense.
About Rape Laws in Orlando, FL
Understanding the legal intricacies surrounding rape and sexual battery in Orlando, Florida, is essential when facing such severe charges. The implications can be life-altering, affecting your freedom, reputation, and future opportunities. This is why getting the facts straight and securing exceptional legal representation is crucial.
Rape Laws and Statutes in Florida
In Florida, rape is legally termed “sexual battery,” as per Florida Statutes § 794.011. The law defines sexual battery as engaging in non-consensual sexual penetration, whether by a sexual organ or an object or anal or vaginal penetration. The law is stringent on what constitutes “consent,” defining it as “intelligent and knowing consent.” If you engage in sexual activities against someone’s will or with someone incapable of giving intelligent and knowing consent, you could be charged with sexual battery.
It’s worth noting that Florida’s sexual battery laws do not take into account coerced submission. So even if the victim submits due to threats or intimidation, it’s still considered sexual battery if the submission was not given voluntarily and knowingly.
The Legal Definition of Rape in Orlando
While the term “rape” is commonly used in everyday parlance, in the legal world of Florida, the term is “sexual battery.” If you’re accused of rape in Orlando, you’re technically facing a sexual battery charge. This distinction is crucial for understanding the charges you face, the potential penalties, and how to mount a defense.
Sexual Battery vs Rape: Understanding the Distinction
The term “rape” often brings to mind the idea of forced sexual intercourse. However, Florida’s sexual battery laws are much broader in scope. Sexual battery can include any form of non-consensual sexual penetration, and it doesn’t have to involve actual sexual intercourse. This distinction is vital because the charges and penalties you could face are based on this broader definition.
Penalties for Sexual Battery in Florida
In Florida, the penalties for sexual battery are severe and depend on various factors, such as the ages of the victim and the accused and the circumstances surrounding the incident. Here is a breakdown of the types of charges and their associated penalties:
- Capital Felony: An adult (18 or older) committing sexual battery on a minor under 12 or using a deadly weapon or physical force could face a life sentence.
- Life Felony: A minor under 18 who commits sexual battery on a minor younger than 12 could also face a life sentence.
- First-Degree Felony: Typically, this involves an adult sexually assaulting a child who is 12 or older or a victim suffering from force, threats, or drugs. Penalties can include up to 30 years of imprisonment.
- Second-degree Felony: Similar to first-degree sexual battery, but without the use of threats or force. Penalties can go up to 15 years in prison.
Given the severe penalties associated with sexual battery charges in Orlando, securing skilled legal representation is not just advisable; it’s essential. At Leppard Law, we bring a comprehensive approach to your defense. With our robust legal team and former prosecutors, we’re equipped to provide the highest level of commitment and expertise to your case.
“Strength in Numbers, Dedication at Heart”—that’s Leppard Law. So, if you or someone you know is facing sexual battery charges in Orlando, don’t hesitate to reach out. With over 60 years of combined experience and a client-centered approach, we are the experienced rape lawyers in Orlando you need.
In the unfortunate event that you’re arrested on rape or sexual battery charges in Orlando, FL, time is of the essence. Immediate actions can impact your case, your reputation, and your future. Understanding what steps to take can drastically influence the outcome of your case.
- Invoke Your Right to Remain Silent: The moment you are arrested, remember that anything you say can and will be used against you. Exercise your right to remain silent to prevent self-incrimination.
- Request Legal Representation: Before answering any questions, ask for a lawyer. Make it clear that you will only speak with your attorney present.
- Contact Leppard Law: Given the grave nature of rape and sexual battery charges, not just any lawyer will do. You need an experienced rape lawyer in Orlando who understands the complexities of Florida’s sexual battery laws. At Leppard Law, we’re in your corner.
- Do Not Consent to Searches: Unless a warrant is presented, do not consent to your property or person searches. Doing so may give the prosecution more evidence against you.
- Inform Your Loved Ones: Contact a trusted family member or friend to let them know about your situation. They can help with bail and provide emotional support.
- Preserve Evidence: If any evidence could help prove your innocence, ensure it is preserved. This could include text messages, emails, or any other communication between you and the alleged victim.
- Stay Off Social Media: In today’s digital age, a single tweet or Facebook post can harm your case. Stay off social media until your case is resolved.
Why You Need an Orlando Rape Attorney Right Away
If you’re arrested for rape or sexual battery in Orlando, seeking immediate legal representation is not just a step—it’s a necessity. Here’s why:
- Expertise in Sexual Battery Laws: Florida’s rape laws are complex and often updated. It would help to have someone familiar with the current statutes and previous case outcomes. At Leppard Law, we have that expertise.
- Your Voice, Our Mission: At Leppard Law, we understand that every client has a unique story. We’re committed to making your voice heard and turning the tide in your favor.
- Insider Knowledge: With former prosecutors on our team, we have insights into the other side’s thoughts. This allows us to anticipate their moves and build a stronger defense for you.
- Tech-Savvy Defense: Led by tech enthusiast Joel Leppard, we leverage cutting-edge technology to organize your case and communicate effectively.
- Immediate Action: The sooner you have an attorney, the quicker they can start gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, and building your defense.
- Client-Centered Approach: We might be known to dominate in court, but our true strength lies in our unwavering commitment to being client-centered. At Leppard Law, you’re not just a case; you’re our mission.
If you find yourself facing rape or sexual battery charges in Orlando, immediate action is crucial. Reach out to the experienced rape lawyers at Leppard Law to safeguard your future. “Strength in Numbers, Dedication at Heart”—that’s Leppard Law.
Obtaining a Police Report for Rape Cases in Orlando
The police report is a crucial document in any criminal case, including rape and sexual battery. Also known as a complaint, probable cause affidavit, or arrest affidavit, this report forms the basis for the criminal charges you may face. Having a copy can significantly aid in building your defense, as it contains essential details about the alleged incident.
Instructions for Obtaining the Police Report
- Visit the Orange County Clerk of Court Website: Go to Orange County Clerk of Court.
- Enter Your Details: Input your first and last name into the appropriate fields on the search page.
- Search for the Document: After clicking “Enter,” a list of documents related to your case will appear. Look for the document usually titled “Complaint,” which could also be called an “Arrest Affidavit.”
- Download the Report: Click on the PDF or image file next to the document to download it for your records.
Can’t Find Your Report? We’re Here to Help
If you encounter any difficulties in obtaining your Orlando rape case police report, don’t worry. Contact our office at 407-476-4111, and we’ll be happy to download and send you a copy of your police report free of charge.
Having a copy of your police report is an essential first step in understanding the charges against you and preparing your defense. At Leppard Law, we’re more than just attorneys; we’re a dedicated force committed to providing you with the highest legal expertise and support.